Wednesday, September 2, 2015

The Best Year of Your Life


So I am a runner.  A brand new runner.  Not a fast runner, but a runner nonetheless.  And I love it!  Well, I hate it too but mostly I love it.  I am sure all you runners out there know exactly what I am talking about.

My decision to become a runner was really a split second decision; probably because I just did not realize what I was getting into at the time.  The Greater Boston Running Company offered a running group and I thought, “oh! That is just what I need to get back in shape so that I can move on to other great things that require stamina.”  Little did I know that running actually was the great thing that I was getting into shape for.

Needless to say, I joined a running group “to get into shape” thinking I would only be running a 5k but I actually ended up running my first half marathon the day before Max nugget turned 6 months old.  Insert applause here!  Yes, I am proud of myself.  I am proud that I did not wait to start to get my body back.  In a way I am thankful that my pregnancy was such a physically miserable experience because as soon as it became mine again I took every opportunity to give it some nice, healthy, exercise.  I am also thankful to the moon and back to have a husband that has supported me every step of the way (even when I acted like an ogre and looked like the Michelin man).

Max was born last November, just before all of the big blizzards that came through.  I was on maternity leave and we were snowed in a lot.  But I did not let that stop me, I still joined a running group, got a Fitbit, and I looked for lots of other ways to stay active.  I went to the mall and walked loops.  When it snowed and my eyeballs felt like they were going to freeze through I still went to my awesome running group and we all bundled up, put on our headlamps and ran circles around the Derby Street Shoppes.  I even got snowshoes and my mom and I explored Webb Park before anyone else had the chance too.  It was amazing!  It was the best winter of my life.  This past year full of inspiring experiences and people (like Cathy-who-ran-20-miles) has helped me decide that from now on, I am going to do my best to make every year the best year of my life.

Anyway, now I am here to tell you that you can be a runner too! Or a snow-shoer (is that a word?) Or an anythingyouwanttobe-er too!  Just don’t wait.  Take advantage your healthy body when you can.   Make every year the best year of your life.

What are you going to do to make this year the best year of your life? (Comment below!)


No comments:

Post a Comment